3/21/2005

Buffy Vs. Elastigirl

I have to come clean. I just have to confess it. I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It all started when I was pregnant with my son, and dh was in law school. I would come home from work, exhausted and puking, and dh would be studying. So I would park my sorry pregnant body on the couch, and, sadly, zone out in front of the TV because I was too exhausted to do anything else. This is when I discovered the magic that is Buffy. I discovered this show in it's second to last season, when they had already started re-runs on the FX channel. It's dark, cheesy, violent, and very funny, all in one show. I mean, what's not to love? I was quickly hooked. I kept my addiction a secret, because really, who wants to admit that she likes a show with the words "Buffy" and "Vampire Slayer" in it? But my secret slowly leaked out. And one day, I was talking to a friend, who finally just asked me what I see in a show that has mummies, scary-toothed walking undead, and black magic, sometimes all in one episode. And I told her, "It's because Buffy is a serious buttkicker. It's all about her power." And really, that's true. For those of you who don't watch this show on a regular basis, the "slayer" has superhuman strength, heals quickly from wounds inflicted by vampires, and can do some seriously cool Jackie-Chanesque moves. She basically rocks. Who wouldn't want to be her? Ok, so then the show had it's last season. I mourned the loss of my main entertainment, and we all moved on with our lives. Then I met Elasti-Girl. Again, for those of you who are not familiar with this particular hero, Elasti-Girl, a.k.a Helen Parr, also totally rocks. She can stretch her body in all sorts of cool ways, and knows how to fly a jet. She also gave all that up to be a stay-at-home mom, but then had to resume her hero-work when the world became in need, once again, of saving. (I won't tell you any more, in case you haven't already seen 'The Incredibles'.) We recently just purchased "The Incredibles" DVD, and while watching the special features, the director said, "I just loved the idea of having a Superhero as a mom." The director also specifically made her a stay-at-home mom, because he likes that idea so much, too. And watching that, I thought, "Hey, I'm a mom. I want to be a Superhero, too!" But the question looms: Do I still want to be Buffy, or should I aspire to be Elasti-Girl? I mean, who would make the better mother? Apparantly Elasti-Girl makes a mean meatloaf along with all the rest of her talents, but Buffy has been known to take out half a dozen vampires on her own. It's a tough call, don't you think? Also, Elast-Girl gets to wear a very cool outfit when she fights evil, while Buffy stays in her hip, I-live-in-Southern-California gear when she's out patrolling. (The show takes place in a fictional town in Southern California, which, as my dh says, is a very plausible location for the center of all that is nasty and vile.) So let's take a vote. As mothers, who would you rather be, Buffy, or Elastic-Girl? And while y'all are deciding, my son has just spilled his entire glass of milk on the floor, so I have to don my own Superhero outfit and (gasp!) save the carpet from ruination! And after that, I might even have to (oh no!) save the laundry from the dryer! I swear, a Superhero's work is never done.

15 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

This made me laugh. Thanks, Heather.

Tough call... actually my favorite part of the Incredibles DVD was the alternate opening at a BBQ when Helen takes out a condesending woman ("Mothering is okay if you aren't sutied to more substantial things) with "You consider raising a family NOTHING?! You have any idea how much suffering would fail to take root if more people would be good parents? What's more important than that, what kind of job? A job saving lives?"

You go girl.

I choose Elasta-girl, but that's partially because I haven't seen Buffy. What other strong females movie roles are out there?

3/21/2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Ooh--good one about the getting your kids from across the room. That would definitely come in handy.

3/21/2005 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Ah, but on one episdone, Buffy got bit by a demon, and then she was telepathic for the whole day. I mean, how cool is that? Of course, she did almost go insane before her friends found the remedy, but hey, reading minds--pretty cool!

3/21/2005 06:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like reading mysteries, "One, Two, What Did Daddy Do?" by Susan Rogers Cooper is the first in a great series. EJ Pugh is a SAHM who writes romance novels part-time but gets into the crime solving business in the first novel. She's great. She's a mom. You would like her. Its been a few years since I read them, but I was impressed.
My husband was a huge Buffy fan, I started watching in 1997 when I was chained to the couch nursing baby #1. It's great. I admit I quit for a while when they turned Willow gay. She was smart, shy, bookish, and I loved her werewolf boyfriend until he left for movies. I wasn't too thrilled with where they took her.
The Buffy/Angel thing frustrated me a few times. But Angel was hot. And then the Riley romance was so sweet, I would get so excited. And, oh my gosh, the Riley ending--I cried. And then when they brought him back for that one episode a year or so later!!! Talk about torture.
Just watched the Incredibles for the first time last night.
Hated the husband lying. That is SO not cool. I hate how so many couples lie on TV. Its in our pre-nup. No lying. I just couldn't be married to someone it I couldn't trust what they said. Besides that the movie was great.

3/21/2005 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger This is Carrie said...

Can't admit that I have watched that much Buffy. But that doesn't mean that I haven't been addicted to my fair share of embarrassing tv shows. Especially the ones that come on as reruns during the day while feeding the baby.

Elasti-girl for me.

3/21/2005 09:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I am a die-hard Buffy fan, and I would love to be Buffy. But that's probably because the show is so incredibly witty and smart and I'd love to be able to be that quick-witted.

3/21/2005 10:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best part of the Buffy mind-reading episode is when the gang is in the library and Buffy hears what everyone is thinking, but then they say something completely different until...
Cordelia thinks *This is boring. Can I go now?*
Cordelia says "This is boring. Can I go now?"
LOL
Witty, it certainly was. Those writers were genius.

3/22/2005 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

I haven't seen The Incredibles, so I go with Buffy. I loved that show, too. My daughter and I have a favorite show each season that we've bonded over. Eventually we get sick of them, last year it was One Tree Hill, which is actually quite an immoral show and I'm sick of it.

But Buffy, what a delectable guilty pleasure.

3/22/2005 04:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Buffy - does everyone know Eliza Dushku, who plays Faith on the show - is LDS? I've met her mother, and she's great.

As far as Elastigirl vs. Buffy, I'd have to say Buffy is definitely cooler (who wouldn't want to be a gorgeous blond who can kill vampires?), but Elastigirl is more realistic and easier to identify with (funny, when a woman made of elastic is more real than a vampire slayer).

I loved/hated the part in "The Incredibles" where Elastigirl dons her new uniform, looks in the mirror at her enlarged behind, and wonders where in the world that came from. I could definitely relate to that.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Heather that we need more depictions of strong women CHOOSING to be home with their children, and actually making staying home as, or more, attractive than working outside the home (remember Mr. Incredible squeezing into his cubicle every morning at his boring job?).

Anyway, great post - thanks!

3/22/2005 09:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Elasta-girl, but would hate to be Buffy - so much angst!!!

I loved Buffy for years, but think it jumped the shark around the time they completely re-wrote Willow. It also lost a lot of spark when Angel left. I never could get that excited about Riley - but that's o.k. - neither could Buffy, LOL. And the whole Spike/Buffy thing - just, ick!

3/22/2005 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Susan-

Ditto on the whole Willow and ickiness of Buffy and Spike. That last season was just not good.

And Angel is hot. Very hot.

FYI--Eliza Dushku comes from a Mormon family, but from all reports is not exactly active anymore. She still rocks as Faith, though.

3/22/2005 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I went with a playgroup to the zoo today, and as our children were running off and trying to climb over the fences to pet the panda bears, all the moms there decided we would much rather be Elasti-girl. Elastic arms could REALLY come in handy if your kid falls into a gorilla pit!

3/22/2005 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Now I must buy that movie. =p

When I was pregnant with my first son, I got up every morning to get my fix of "Charmed". Better than Buffy: THREE awesome, beautiful women kicking demons' butts with magic (and some very well-placed kicks). Oh yes! Then we lost cable, and inherited rabbit-ears. *sob*

I will decide on your super-duper alterego when I see the movie. =)

(From what I've read in these other comments, though, they may have gotten this "super-mom" image from my own mother... not to brag or anything, but any woman who can successfully raise 10 kids AND hold god-knows-how-many church callings is super-mom in MY book.) *grin*

3/22/2005 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger SusanS said...

Go daughter-in-law! Anyone who likes Buffy is good enough for my son.

3/22/2005 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Emily-

Anyone who can raise ten kids and not go completely INSANE definitely gets the award for good mother.

Susan-

Glad you approve! Next time we're in Seattle, we should pop some popcorn and have a Buffy marathon night. (Nate said he can hardly wait!)

3/22/2005 11:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home