4/01/2009

I guess they can't hear the people in my head

In church, we have a "good news minute". That's the time where anybody who has good news can quickly shout it out and share. I almost never share any good news. I have many reasons for this, not the least of which is because I doubt "Hey, I got my pantry organized. GO ME!" is anybody's idea of good news. And I don't like to monopolize the time. I've been told in the past that I talk too much, so I lately I have tried to tone it down. To not talk about myself so much. To be the type of person where people say, "Wow, you're a really good listener." That's not something I hear very often. Talker, yes. I'm amazing. I can talk your ear off. Listening is something I need to really work on. But I participated in the good news minute when I got accepted into the HALT PKD study. I felt it was good news, and it was bigger than just having found the perfect cleaning product that gets grease off my microwave. And I was surprised when, not long thereafter, I got an email from a friend who expressed her deep concern about my health, not having known that I have a life threatening genetic disease that makes my kidneys look like moldy footballs. Not long after that, I was chatting with a friend about healthcare. Her husband and my husband have the same employer, and we were comparing health plans and talking costs and FSA (whatever they are--is that a real thing?)and I mentioned offhand that we pay out of pocket quite a bit each year with all my appointments, and that it's ridiculous that I have a $35 co-pay to see my nephrologist. She gave me a weird look and said, "Why are you going to the nephro whatever so much? What are your issues?" I was genuinely surprised she didn't know. I told her about my PKD. She said, "I didn't know you had a kidney disease. You've never talked about it before." I haven't? Really? I THINK about it all the time--how can I not be TALKING about it all the time? So I guess it's good that I'm not talking about it as much as I'm thinking about it. It could also mean that I think I'm talking about it because I'm answering some crazy voices in my head and not actually communicating with real people ever. Yeah, that can't be good.

7 Comments:

Blogger This is Carrie said...

Did you mean to post this on the old site?

4/03/2009 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

No, not at all. In fact, I meant to post it on my PKD site, and didn't realize until I posted it that I had signed on to this one (it still comes up on my blogger dashboard when I post on my PKD blogspot blog.) When I realized I did it, I was just too lazy to delete it. Surprised anybody is reading, though. Thanks!

4/03/2009 09:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sisters,
I hope that I will reach some of you and that I will have your support as I take action into my plan. As some of you know I am just a teacher, with a big heart and love for children. I recently wrote a novel: The Black Parade: The Phantom Series. Some of you may have already seen it on my facebook. It’s an adult total chick lit urban fantasy novel written to capture the mind of those willing to laugh out loud, tremble a little, and possibly even cry. My whole purpose in posting this, is so will go to my web site: www.thephantomseries.com and help me raise money for St. Jude. I am trying to raise $5000 by December. So, please help my cause and go to my site or check out The Black Parade on facebook. I hope to hear your comments and I know you will enjoy the read, because it is totally for us Mormon moms who need some clean fantasy in our lives.

5/15/2009 12:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Furniture Online said...

It seems good to share good news with others.

2/01/2011 04:09:00 PM  
Blogger Melanie M. McKinnon said...

I don't know if anyone checks this any more but this is the closest website to Mormon Mommy Wars I could find and thought that might have been the product of this blog. Anyway, I wrote a guest post in January of 2008 about losing my son to SIDS and I was wondering if one of you might have a copy of that somewhere because I lost mine. Please contact me if you get this at melmck2@gmail.com. Thank you.

11/22/2014 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger bkbsmiles said...

I remember when I learned about your having PKD. It really struck me when you said that you ran to stop the pain. I mean running can be hard and to think that you run to stop the pain helps one realize more what a struggle this is. I know it also made it hard for you to become a mom the second time before you got your miracle daughter. I don't know how it was with your first. Hope this finds all doing well as I know it has been years since you updated here.

1/20/2018 06:34:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi thanks for information Template blog simple

7/16/2018 02:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home